Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Breakfast Creation

After finishing off 2 bags of granola, I decided it was time to venture into a new land of breakfast: pancakes. Upon seeing bags of pancake mix in the store, Dan and I thought it would be a good idea to try it. And even though the directions and all the information were printed in Japanese, there was a picture of an egg and a carton of milk on the front, so I thought this should be easy enough to make. 

Creation #1
Banana Pancakes
Date: 07/03/09
It was during Creation #1 that I realized I didn't have syrup. I had to think of an alternative to sweeten things up. I borrowed 2 bananas from my roommates and voila! Banana Pancakes. They weren't really that great- the recipe needs some honing- but they were good enough to eat, and at that point, that's all that mattered. 

Creation #2
Apple Pancakes
Date: 07/09/09
I had a little bit of time this morning to make breakfast so I broke out the pancake batter again. Still no syrup, so I decided to try another fruit. A richly flavored Japanese apple sounded like it would do the trick. In my box of goods though, I spotted white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract- all of which sounded like they needed to be in my pancakes. So I experimented. The pancakes turned out great- only problem was that the sugar makes the outside burn too quickly, and the inside not cook quite enough. I'll leave the "recipe" below. If you feel like experimenting, let me know what works best for you. 

*Measurements are very approximate. In fact on most of these, I'd put a "maybe" before any number I list :)

Ingredients
1 1/2 C pancake mix
1/4 C white sugar
1/8 C brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg* (don't use egg if your mix doesn't call for it)
1 cup-ish of milk (use enough to make the batter somewhat thick and not too runny)
1 apple- thinly sliced. 

Directions
-mix p-mix, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, egg*, and milk together. 
-slice yo' apple.
-set the burner to low heat. 
-pour a small amount of batter into a circular (or mickey mouse) shape on the pan. 
-put some apple slices on the pancake. 
-use a better spatula than I had to attempt to flip the pancake. 
-use that same spatula to move the pancake from the pan to a plate. 
-eat. 
-email Rachel to tell her how you did :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment