Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Grateful to the Copycat

Vocab: 
Gaijin : a foreigner in Japan. Any foreigner. 

My roommate Jillian wrote the following post, and it was just too perfect of an explanation to try to copy and not plagiarize. :] 

Gaijin
By: Jillian Nelson

"Sarah Joy brought home Nanako after a shopping exploration, and one of the topics of conversations that came up is about natto, the beloved Japanese fermented soybeans.  I think a favorite activity for Japanese citizens is to introduce to snack to American gaijin to see their reactions.  If I was to try to explain how natto tastes using a keyboard, this is probably what it would look like:

BLAGHADRHGDFKGLSDFGADGR
>:(========)
GLGdfgadadgjauiaeDFGSADRGdjsfgadjkgfhuahuaehulVASDJASEFGJAERadgasd
FLEHBLAGHBLAGHBLAGHGRAAAAWWAAABLARFBLARF.

Which brings me to the topic of gaijin.  Gaijin, as I previously mentioned, are foreigners in Japan.  They can be whities, blackies, Chinesies, whatever; if they weren't made in Japan, they are gaijin.  Coming to Japan is much different from going to Europe, were passing for a native only requires wearing inconspicuous clothing and not hauling around a camera that you whip out for pictures every 5 minutes.  In Japan, blending in is not possible when your skin is tinted pink and you stand 6 inches taller than the average woman (and let's not even get into facial differences).  But more importantly, there are cultural differences; general practices of courtesy that are ingrained into Japanese life.  Many of them aren't very difficult to remember, like pointing to your nose when referring to yourself; however, I had to constantly remind myself  not to point at people with one finger--and I have found it nearly impossible to always avoid eating and drinking while walking--I've definitely begun to notice how often I do certain things after I find out I'm not supposed to do them.  

Constantly standing out can be kind of weird; when we walk on trains, people always look at us (but try quickly to hide it), and we occasionally hear people utter the word "gaijin" to each other when we go by--but when you can't help it, you have to just go with it.  So technically, if we make faux pas every once in awhile, it's okay, because hey--we're gaijin.  If the humidity is pressing down on us on our walk to school, then I'll play the gaijin card and sneak a drink of Aquarius--the important thing is knowing the when going against the rules is seen as impolite, and when it is seen as adorably American (okay, I'm not sure anyone ever thinks that, but I have my hopes)."

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, we can finally make "grateful to the copycat" a real phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be genetic!!! The Issei, Nisei, and even Sansei still do it here stateside to us poor unsuspecting gaikokujin! Have you tried the buttered fried squid yet?

    ReplyDelete