Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tales of the Towel


This is the weather forecast from last night. 
As you can see- the conditions in Japan vary significantly. However, the temperature only fluctuates about 5 degrees. 
Now if we look closely at the conditions for each day, we see that only Monday and Friday have any promise of sun. 
Remembering that all laundry must hang to dry, you might guess the difficulty of having to plan laundry days and ration your clothes for the rest of the week. This is where the story begins. 

I have pretty dry hair, so I really can't wash it everyday. Fine. Thursday morning I washed my hair, Friday morning I did not because it was still salvageable and cooperative. Friday was sunny- a good laundry day- but I had enough clean clothes to last until Sunday (which was also supposed to be sunny). 

Saturday morning looked promising, so I washed all the towels in the apartment: hand towels, dish towels, shower towels. I figured that after the towels were done washing, they wouldn't take that long to dry in the sun- and then I could wash my hair that afternoon. However, during the 45 minute cycle, the weather took a turn and soon the clouds surrounded Tokyo. 

I hung the towels over the shower curtain rail, but they did not dry. Even on Sunday morning... they still were not dry. Or at least my shower towel wasn't dry.  

The clouds hung ominously. But, as previously stated, the temperature varies very little. I figured if it was at least warm outside.. my towel would dry. So I hung it out. 

An hour later, the clouds took revenge on Tokyo and rained on my towel. 

I took it in and hung it over the shower rail. My hair felt gross. I wanted a shower. 

This morning (Monday morning), I got up to take a shower. And as I picked up my wet towel, I realized that it wasn't a good idea. And the rain had made it smell. So, with much aggravation, I put the towel back in the washing machine, and forty-five minutes later, put it back outside to dry. 

Lesson Learned: 
-don't skip out on sunny days.
-never count on the consistency of Tokyo's weather during the rainy season. 
-bring two towels. 

3 comments:

  1. Its the humidity...it doesn't matter how warm it is. What does the rain smell like in Tokyo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. smells like rain.
    makes the towels smell like mold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "what's the rain smell like in tokyo?"

    sounds like some promising lyrics to a sad song if you ask me... :)

    ReplyDelete