Friday, June 5, 2009

To Market, To Market

So, you know when you move out you have to like, budget your money and do your own grocery shopping and stuff? Well, I've never had to do that because, well, I lived with my parents and then I lived in the dorms. And while I had to budget a little bit, I never had to pay rent, or buy groceries, or anything like that, you know? 

I never thought that my first time doing all this would be in a foreign country. I don't have much experience cooking and now I'm supposed to cook with things I have to buy in a Japanese grocery store. I don't know what many of the items are, or how to cook them. We do not have an oven, only a microwave and a stovetop, so I have limited options and limited creative resources.. seeing as how I've never really been responsible to cook meals. 

Luckily I have Mary. She lived here in Tokyo for 2 years, she knows the language and the food. I'm so blessed to have her here to help me. My favorite thing we bought today was apples. Put your fingertips together and make a sphere, as if you're putting your hands around a ball- that's about how big the apples are... and they are so delicious. I've never had better apples in my life. 

2 comments:

  1. How are you going to introduce the people of Japan to your delicious chocolate chip cookies if you don't have an oven? Hmmm? Maybe you should be buying one of those! First things first, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true Rachel that you don’t need much to have a good time just people who want to be together.
    That is why our coffee table in the family room is filled with so many great memories!!!

    ReplyDelete