Friday, June 12, 2009

Foreigner Folly

I decided to walk to Bible discussion tonight. It takes about 35 minutes to walk to the house where it is so I thought, I'll bring my iPod and listen to my Japanese Language Study on the way! What a great idea! The study is broken up into categories of phrases. When you select a phrase, the voice says it three times and gives you a chance to repeat it out loud after each time. It's a great learning tool! Anyways... I'm walking down the street doing this language study and I notice that I'm getting some looks from passerby's. As a foreigner, you kinda get used to "the look" as you walk down the street, so I didn't think anything of it... at first. 

So the phrase comes up:  "Iinikui desu" or "It is hard to say"

So I'm walking down the street, mimicking the woman on my iPod study saying, "Inikui desu" ... "Inikui desu" ... "Inikui desu" and it was on that 3rd time that a man looked up at me and I realized:

I am walking down the street blurting out the most random phrases in Japanese. 
I'm becoming the best foreigner ever. yipee! 

2 comments: