Friday, June 26, 2009

A New Way of Doing Things

I've been in Japan for 26 days. About now would be the time that the "honeymoon stage" of a foreign country is ending and I would begin to miss certain things, and become irritated by others. Luckily, I've adjusted quite well, and haven't run into too many issues or In-N-Out cravings. However, there are a few things... 

1) I miss produce! All that good summertime fruit. I must admit, the apples here are more delicious than in the states, but I don't want to pay $1.40 for 1 apple all the time. Also- peaches are a delicacy here. In the discount grocery store they're going for about $4.00 each! All the fruit is expensive- that's probably what I'm missing the most. 

2) Seeing movies. American movies are popular in Japan, but they're about 1 month behind the US release date. Bummer... 

3) Cell Phones. At first, this was an annoyance to me because it was more difficult to make plans, and a little scary to think I have no way of communicating if I get lost. But I'm starting to get used to it- it's just a new way of doing things... or.. an old way actually. I'm kind of getting a glimpse into the world before cell phones- you know- when you had to make plans ahead of time. 

Beyond those three things though- I'm doing alright. It's great because- all three of those things are such minute details that it's easy to get over. 

One thing I've come to love:

-Getting to sleep in and still have a very fun and productive day. It's the strangest thing. 

2 comments:

  1. what??? who's writing this blog? because if you're enjoying sleeping in, I don't believe that it's you Rachel =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss produce too :(
    also, i finally found your blog! blogspot confuses me; it doesn't allow me to see your blog even though you were following me. I had to go on facebook to find it. But I did! Good luck bike searching today!

    ReplyDelete