Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Volleyball

I don't get nervous about things very often. I think the last time I was truly nervous may have been last year during our performances of Les Misérables. Yesterday, however- I experienced that nervousness again. 

It's been 5 years since I've played a game of volleyball, and even then in was in a junior high PE class and we were using beach balls...  The last time I played a game of volleyball with an actual volleyball was in a Mt. Shasta campground at age 12. 

So yesterday, I find out that for BEST club Tuesday Night Sports, we're playing volleyball for 2 hours. Great. I dreaded it all day. The students here are so good at volleyball. I did not want to play. At all. 

As you can probably judge from my past experience with "volleyball," I know nothing about the rules, and hardly anything about the game itself. Sure, I went to several LBSU volleyball games, but when you're on the court, it's completely different: you actually have to like.. hit the ball. 

I was told by Mark that I had to at least play 1 game. I practiced with some students on the sidelines and then played a couple games.. 

It was terrible- I'm the worst volleyball player ever! 
I didn't think one of the bigger challenges in Japan would be a volleyball game.. but it most certainly was :D

3 comments:

  1. But you did it! I totally know that feeling of intimidation, and I am so proud of you for putting yourself out there. Love your blog updates and can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. well... I could've taught you a few things. I may not be the masta at Volleyball but I could show you how to set-up, bump, etc. But it's all good. I'm sure you'll be a awesome at it when you come back haha

    Much love,
    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. so we should go to a few more volleyball games than we did this past year-what was it, just one? lol

    that needs to change!

    ReplyDelete