Sunday, July 26, 2009

Live Like You're Living

When I began writing this entry, it was titled: 
It's the Beginning of the End. 
But you know, I really dislike that phrase... 
"it's the beginning of the end.."

It's used so often when something long-term is coming to a close. 
I've heard it from countless teachers each year around April when final field trip dates arrive, and when exam study packets are issued. 

The said phrase has been used in movie titles (1957), by modern "prophets," palm readers, and girlfriends who aren't afraid to face reality. But why do we use that phrase, honestly? When is it even appropriate to start saying it? Why don't we ever say "it's the end of the beginning"? Why do we even have to designate start and end points? 

Anyways- I've been trying to avoid it all together. It's so easy to miss the point of why you're doing something if you're too caught up with "ohhh this is the last time we're going to _______."

I mean sure, there are times when the "last time" should be recognized, but as for me, I like to live as if I'm not leaving. 

So I've been doing just that:


Friday was our last Shabe night at the Rood's house, and even
though it was goodbye for some, it was so much fun! It was filled with good food, fun games, a great discussion on thankfulness- followed by some deep conversations, and a rousing game of Mafia. 



Saturday we went to the F.C. Tokyo v. Hiroshima soccer game. It was a very important game for #4 team (F.C. Tokyo) to compete for the national title. Even though no one scored- it was so much fun! The stadium cheering section was a madhouse- I've never heard so many different songs and chants at a sports game before.














I really cherish memories (who doesn't?). My family always valued making photo albums and taking video- it's something I too have grown to love. So, using my amateur editing skills, I've been putting together a photo & film montage of this summer to show at the final BEST club trip to Oshima Island. To me, it's a great way to use my own skills and give the students something to remember the summer. It might be a little cheesy, but I don't really care. 


Sunday turned out to be such a great day! Along with completing some of my video project, I also took a walk by the river to enjoy this awesome path I found that is strewn with big trees, tall grass, and old benches- talk about perfect photo-shoot spot! After that I did some family/friends gift shopping in Tama Center, and then took the 1 hour walk back to my apartment instead of the train (listening to Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz- such a good time). After getting back, I hung out with one of the students in the little park across the street from my house until 2 am. This was one of the best times I've had while in Japan. See, something I've learned is- even though this is not my home, life here is just as real as it is in California. 

As for the rest of my time here- plans are:
-Bible Study on Tuesday morning
-English Lunch Table on Wednesday and Friday
-Lunch with a student on Thursday
-Pro Baseball Game (woot!)
-Move out of apartment
-Oshima trip (including beach time, pair talk, bible study, and birthday fun)
-1 last night in Tokyo
-Closing orientation
-Looking at the Pacific Ocean through an airplane window... 

So yeah- it definitely would be "the beginning of the end" if my teachers had anything to say about it. But to me that phrase concludes that the country favorite "Live Like You Were Dying" should be my new theme song. But my relationships with these people won't suddenly end when the wheels of the plane depart from the surface of Japan. So why live like that? Why live like it's the end?- it's just not true. Then again, I can't live like I'm not leaving- cause that's just not true either.  

Shouldn't live like I'm dying. 
Don't want to know that I'm leaving. 
I think- to live like I'm living- is what works best for me. 

See you all very soon. 

1 comment: