Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ice Ice Baby

Sometimes things get lost in translation.
That's really all I need to say to begin my story. 

Not too long ago I had this amusing conversation with one of the students. 

Student: "Do you guys keep ice in your freezer?"
Me: "Mmm.. yeah, most of the time."
S: "Oh really? Wow that's great."
M: "Yeah."
S: "Have you ever had it with chocolate?"
M: "What?"
S: "Yeah, with chocolate around it. It's sooo good!"

At this point I'm thinking two things:
1) "...?"
2) "The Japanese have such cool ways of making desserts!!"

M: "Wow. I've never even heard of that, I'll have to try it."
S: "Yeah, it's very good. Sometimes there are almonds on it too."
M: "Wait so.. there's like- ice, right?"
S: "Yeah."
M: "And then.. chocolate.. with.."
S: "Sometimes it's like, chocolate on the inside, then ice, then chocolate on the outside, with little nuts or something on it."

M: "...?"
S: "It's very common. Probably the most favorite ice cream in Japan." 

So I felt dumb. Why would anyone eat a chocolate covered ice cube, I mean- honestly?

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha. i would've been just as confused as you rachel! picturing an ice cube with chocolate drizzled all around it! haha. that's hilarious

    ReplyDelete